Gobi - Methi ki Subzi ( Cauliflower- fenugreek leaves Curry )


I used to have this dish in a restaurant called 'Carnival' a long time ago. & I used to order it every time I went there! The dish had the most wonderful aroma & tasted divine.
So.. eventually I tried it out at home & to my surprise, found that it was an awfully simple dish to make. The whole secret was in the use of kasuri methi. Thats it !!


I have used kasuri methi of course, but those of you who have the patience to wash, clean & cut up fresh methi leaves can do so of course. It is definitely more healthy, & just a little bit more work.







Ingredients

Cauliflower - medium sized, washed & cut into small florets

potato - 1 or 2 ( peeled, & diced into medium sized pieces -
optional )
kasuri methi ( dried fenugreek leaves ) - 2 tbsp

tomato - chopped

oil - 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
salt to taste


Method


1. Heat the oil in the kadhai & add the cumin seeds & allow it to turn golden.
2. Now add the cauliflower florets & potato pieces , salt & turmeric & stir well . Sprinkle a little water ( maybe a tbsp) & cover & cook on medium flame for 7-8 minutes until the vegetables are nearly done.
3. In another kadhai, add just a tsp of oil & saute the chopped tomato until slightly soft & squishy & then add to the cauliflower.
4. Add the chilli powder & kasuri methi & stir. Cook for for another 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
5. The Gobhi- Methi is now ready. Serve hot.


P.S
- If using fresh methi, use about 1 cup of chopped methi & add it along with the cauliflower itself in Step 2.


*******************************************************


Comments

  1. Dear Chitti,
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I'm glad you did because that led me to yours! I had the first Indian meal of my entire life just last August and it was extraordinary and completely delicious. I look forward to dropping in on Chitti's Kitchen often!

    :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. Great to hear from someone across the world.
    Hope you find my blog interesting.If there is any particular Indian recipe you are interested in do let me know.Will post it on my site.
    Bye & thanks .
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi chitra found yr blog very interesting and will certainly try out your recipes one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to do this today. Have gobi and methi at home and wanted to do something besides the plain alu methi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment