My New Obsession !!!

The winter has started here in Baroda. & every other day , I have been drinking Chai ( Tea ) & more chai at homes of various people I know. But let me assure you that it is not a boring repetitive thing at all. I have in fact, started looking forward to this ritual.

You will of course be wondering, why.

Apart from the fact that I do collect gossip (and information, let me assure you ) at these sessions, I also am eagerly waiting to sample the tea of the day !!!

These Gujaratis have got this Chai thing into a complete art form ......................
Not for them the boring ole chai day after day ..........

First of all, they may serve it weak & watery like the rest of us or more milky as they normally like it.

Point 2 ..... It may be strong or weak as the mood of the day may dictate. & then........

Finally, it may be Plain ole Chai or flavored..............

No,no...don't get worried it is not vanilla or cinnamon.... as it may be in the west. It is more exciting & Indian than that !

It could be Masala Chai ( Spiced Tea ) or Adrak Chai ( Ginger Tea )! Or Pudina wali Chai ( Tea with fresh Mint ) or lili patti wali Chai ( Tea with fresh Lemon Grass leaves ) !!! Oh my God ! they are all fantastic! & completely & wonderfully energizing .
& Each one of them have specific purpose, I feel. On any day a Masala chai completely invigorates you. When you are down with cold & cough or are generally feeling miserable, Adrak wali chai is just the thing to get you going. & Nothing can be quite as refreshing as a wonderful Pudina chai made with freshly plucked mint leaves straight from your kitchen garden.............& As for the Lemongrass tea...........I just don't know what to say..........


I have tasted all of them, on & off & now have decided that I can't be waiting to be invited to other people's house for my various chai sessions.
So I found out about where I could procure the best chai masala in town & have bought the stuff .
Next I went to nursery at the edge of the town & bought some lemon grass & mint plants!!! ( I am into kitchen gardening now ! my next obsession !)

That was just yesterday. I can't wait to pluck & put those wonderfully aromatic Lili Pattis into my afternoon tea today. I am waiting !!!


**********************************************************

Comments