My Trials at the wheel........




I have recently started learning Ceramic Pottery. I have been going to this ceramic artist's place every morning. She lives in a farm in village just outside Baroda. It's a simple farm house but really cute. They've lots of Geese, Dobermans, Alsatians, Star turtles, Cock, Hens, Love birds etc, etc & etc.




The geese sitting in the shade, under the jhoola !


The studio is an open thatched area,with all the pottery studio requisite stuff.


& while I am working on the wheel or at the table with my clay, the geese, hens & dogs happily saunter by.
& you know how petrified I am of dogs..... that too Dobermans..........they are sooo huge ! I used to get really stressed out every time the Dobermans came around, but since they are around all the time , I am now slowly allowing myself to breathe calmly as they walk by. Brave Girl ! Even if I say so myself.



From where I sit at the wheel...


Well, coming to the work I am doing there,...I started off by learning to make some pinched pots.The oldest type of pottery. Made a few pathetic small bowls....Then started on coiled pottery. Made a small bowl & nice tall cylinder. Not bad for a first trial.

Made a few slab pottery too ...Some free form bowls too with some dry leaves stamped into it. I really was thrilled with it. But it seems to have cracked while drying. I will have to make another one !!

But what I really wanted to do is sit at the wheel & learn to make those easy looking jars, vases & bowls. & of course straight away , I realized that the easy looking work was not easy at all !!!

But I am determined to really get into this ceramic thing.

& So , every morning for the past month I have been mostly sitting at the wheel & trying my hand.
Of course, it helps that I have a extremely good teacher who is really patient & gives me all the time I need.




The coiled pottery............

I have now started turning out some half decent shapes. Of course they are all not all that big in size but I am able to make what I have in mind. ......( previously, I would have a shape in mind but end up making something completely different.........my hands weren't listening to me !)
That's a big thing let me tell you...........

But now, I am finally able to control the clay just as I want !!! I am so thrilled & satisfied ...you have no idea............





Finished pots drying...








Just made...not yet trimmed.




Still on the wheel............

From tomorrow I am going to try my hand at slightly bigger stuff. Let's see !!!



The lane leading to the farm................


*****************************************************


Comments

  1. Hai Chitra,

    Your blog is wonderful! A search for kozukatta brought me here! Do you really stay in Baroda? I am zapped at the list of things you have managed doing...knowing here..Made me wonder what have I been doing all these time :) Can u give contact of the potter's workshop place..thanks!

    happy blogging..n cooking...crafting n....

    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googling for "coiled pots" and found yours. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Googling for "coiled pots" and found yours. Love it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment