Brandied Plums with Crème Chantilly



I love watching Master Chef Australia. I watch the repeats too, as far as possible. I specially love those Master Chef classes. They teach so many new & interesting ways to handle food. & all those classes on baking & desserts...........They are just awesome !

Of course, sometimes, some of the stuff that they teach, look so basic to us, here in India........ 
but that's because those are the methods that all Indian households use every day. Sometimes, what seems so exotic & unusual to them, seems so ordinary & maamuli to us, if you know what I mean. 

One day, one of the Master Chefs was extolling the virtues of this wonderful & exotic vegetable which is so awesome that it absorbs the flavours of whatever spices & other stuff you are using..........etc & etc........

All the participants were puzzled & completely baffled. But being a regular Indian housewife, (who cooks everyday of her life !!!!), I knew what it was...... immediately !!!

It was our good old PETHA !!! Can you believe it. All the participants were all wide eyed & exclaiming & examining it with what seemed to me as much wonder. Haha !!! 

To us of course........it the mamuli petha. 
As they say  " Ghar ka murgi, dal barabar ! "   

Anyway, I am so taken up with MasterChef  Australia & I feel so excited & inspired to do something creative instead of following a recipe from a book or something !!!

This is my first effort at this. Its really simple but I feel satisfied & happy because ..........
my daughter ( who is difficult to please, I might add, ) was much appreciative of my efforts.............

Thanks Urmila........




Ingredients

3-4 lovely fresh plums
1-2 tbsp white or brown sugar
2 tbsp of good brandy
some Crème Chantilly



Method

Wash & dry the plums. Remove the stones & cut into pieces. Heat a pan, add the plum & sprinkle some sugar on them. Stir them for a few minutes till the juices are released & the fruit is cooked slightly ( I don't like them to become mushy ). Add the brandy & toss them around for a few minutes (3-4 ) until the fruit is glossy & well coated with the sugar & brandy mix. Remove in a bowl & cool.

Take a dollop of Crème Chantilly  in a bowl & top with the brandied plums. 
Serve immediately....


P.S - Crème Chantilly is nothing but whipped cream sweetened with sugar and often flavored with vanilla. A legend claims that it was invented by Francois Vatel, the maître d'hôtel at the Château de Chantilly in the 17th century

P.S - You can adjust the sugar to suit your taste. You can even try using honey or sugarfree. They all work well.

 ******************************************



Comments